Don’t Swim With Shocks – Electrical Pool Safety
It was touch and go with the weather a couple of weeks ago and with the temperature dipping into the sixties the swimming pools in North Texas were not getting much use. But this week local thermometers rose to the 100 degree mark and it is summer as usual again.
With this in mind I want to remind everyone that water and electricity do not mix. It’s easy to forget just how much and where a swimming pool uses electricity. There are the pool lights, the pool equipment, water features, and exterior sound and entertainment areas. Each of these areas needs to be GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protected. This GFCI protection will interrupt the flow of electricity should moisture/water be detected in the circuit and protect people in and around the swimming pool from electrical shock. Another important electrical safety necessity is proper bonding and grounding of your swimming pool and swimming pool equipment.
If anyone in or around the pool ever feel any tingling sensation, no matter how slight, evacuate the swimming pool and area immediately and turn off the electrical power. Then contact a licensed electrical contractor to have your swimming pool inspected and receive an all clear or have electrical repairs made. The American Red Cross and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission recommend a licensed electrical inspection of your swimming pool each year to ensure everything is safe and in good working order. TLC Electrical offers these electrical safety inspections year round for just $79, call and schedule yours today.
Next to safety, the cost to run your swimming pool equipment is high on the list. We can help you with a new energy efficient system. TLC Electrical is an Authorized Pentair Installer and we can help you with all of your swimming pool equipment and lighting installation and repair needs.
Call us today, we will be happy to help. And have a great and safe summer!