LED Light Bulbs | Watts Up or Down in Flower Mound?

Incandescent, CFL and LED Lighting - TLC Electrical Southlake Electricians

So, what’s up with your light bulbs?

Since the beginning of the year there has been a lot of buzz about the federal governments “banning” of the 40 and 60 watt incandescent light bulbs. The last of what is left of the old and familiar is flying off the shelves and major retailers estimate their supply will be completely exhausted by mid year. This comes as a surprise to a majority of Americans. However this is the last of a four part time line that phases out inefficient lighting options including 75 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs, certain Halogen lamps and most magnetic fluorescent ballasts.

Incandescent, CFLs and LED Light Bulbs

It all started with the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. This act does not actually ban the production of incandescent bulbs but requires the 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt incandescent light bulbs to be more energy efficient. At this time, incandescent bulb manufacturers can not meet these new energy efficient guidelines. So the alternatives left to the consumer are CFL’s (Compact Fluorescent Lights) and LED bulbs (Light Emitting Diodes).

Lumens, Watts and Energy Use

Visible light is measured in lumens. A 60 watt incandescent bulb uses 60 watts to produce 800 lumens. In comparison, a CFL’s uses 15 watts to produce 800 lumens and an LED bulb only requires 12 watts. The fewer watts used, the lower your electric bill will be. In addition, the incandescent bulb uses approximately 5% of its energy to produce the visible light, the other 95% produces heat. After ten minutes a 60 watt incandescent bulb can reach temperatures of up to 288 degrees Fahrenheit, while an LED is approximately 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Additional heat transfers to higher energy costs in cooling your home during a Texas summer and there are more economical ways to heat your home during the winter.

Incandescent A Bulb $0.77 Replace 1 x Per Year Uses 60 watts

CFL A Bulb $1.74 Last up to 9 years Uses 15 watts

LED A Bulb $12.97 Last up to 25 Years Uses 12 watts

Lower Energy Costs Over Time

Yes, the new options available each have a higher upfront cost but let’s consider the true cost of a light bulb over time. The True Cost being the Purchase Price + Electric Bill + Replacement Bulbs + Hassle Factor. Imagine installing a light bulb today that does not have to be replaced until 2039 and it will produce the same amount of light at 80% less energy costs.

Learn more about LED Lighting at TLCElectrical.com/lighting-installation/led-lighting/